kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: I need some help with my Russian

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry on November 04, 2000 at 20:17:16:

In Reply to: Re: I need some help with my Russian posted by Daniel on November 04, 2000 at 18:52:45:

Hi,
if you scroll down the forum you'll find lots of posts regarding Russian Tortoises.
If you read them and the replies many of your questions will be answered.

If you live in the US look for Rep Cal phosphorous free calcium with vit D3. You'll find it in most good pet stores.
A tiny spinkle twice a week is enough.

Do you have UV lighting for your tortoise?
If it's housed indoors UV lighting is a must.
Without it the tortoise won't thrive and shell and bone problems will start to appear.

If it's outdoors fine, it gets natural sunlight.

Cabbage can cause gout and shouldn't be fed.
Feed a variety of leafy greens:
Romaine lettuce, endive, dandelion, escarole, chicory, watercress, add in hibiscus flowers, rose petals, grated carrot, grated squash.

DON'T FEED:
Cabbage, spinach, iceburg lettuce, bok choy or chard.

Feed a variety each meal NOT just one type.
A typical mean for my Russian might consist of Romaine and endive, topped off with hibiscus flowers, grated carrot and squash.

Next time they'll get a differnt mix, but always a variety.Mine are housed outdoors and also nibble on edible plants, grass flowers etc.

You'll find a list of edible plants at Turtle Cafe, as well as other tortoise info and links to tortoise web sites.I recommend you visit the links and read up.

http://www.turtlecafe.net/habitats.htm

If you haven't already take your tortoise to a vet for a chack up and stool test. Very important as Russian Tortoises are wild caught and many are infested with internal parasites.

I also recommend joining the Russian Tortoise email list, it's free and will put you in touch with some very experienced keepers/breeders of Russian tortoises.You can unsubscribe anytime, it's a great way for beginers to get expert advise.
Go to the link below to join up.Hope this helps,
Terry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]