kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Question for Marissa about her temperatures for Sulcatas....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Marissa on October 30, 2000 at 08:38:09:

In Reply to: Question for Marissa about her temperatures for Sulcatas.... posted by B B on October 29, 2000 at 23:25:45:

These temperature ranges I suggest were given to me by Tortoise Trust who has studied sulcata in the wild. In the wild, when it gets too hot, sulcatas retire to deep burrows they excavate themselves to wait out the heat of the day. They are observed coming out in the mornings and the late afternoons...Not only is the temperature in the burrow cooler, but the humidity is also higher which preserves the hydration of the tortoise. In captivity, many owners have indoor setups where the tortoise cannot dig burrows...so when temperatures are too high, they have no choice but to stay in it, and overheat and possibly dehydrate. I hope that explains my reasoning a bit better.

Just a question, how long have you been keeping your sulcata?

Keep in mind as well that sulcata are easy to breed and that just because someone is a breeder, does not make them an authority in their care...nor does it mean that they are keeping correct care of them either.

PS. You may feel free to disagree with me on any topic you wish.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]