kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Couple more questions -- Stress, Day/Night information

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by KATHY on July 14, 2000 at 10:17:37:

In Reply to: Couple more questions -- Stress, Day/Night information posted by Leslie on July 14, 2000 at 09:54:09:

: I have been so stressed out trying to make sure that this tortoise is happy, healthy and not too stressed

Leslie, Relax!

but today, I gave him his breakfast (had to wake him up to do it - I don't think he was ready to wake up) he ate a little and quit

In the wild, torts wake up very slowly, come out of hiding and bask to warm themselves up before going off to graze. I wouldn't wake him up to eat, if you have to leave for work (or whatever), just put the food in his enclosure. He'll eat it when he's ready. I know if I woke my torts up and put them in the garden to eat they'd just slowly leave the garden and go hide somewhere until they were ready. Now, if you notice he's not eating for a couple of days, that's another issue. It may be due to the change of diet (taking away what he's used to--his frozen veggies), or stress, or illness. Has he been checked by a vet? That's real important because then you can rule illness out focus on other issues that may be making him not want to eat. But my guess is he's just not warmed up in the morning; let him eat on his schedule.

so many websites and care sheets mention stress... but, if you have seen it would you say the symptoms are?

Not eating for more than a couple of days, hiding or not coming out to bask, inactivity; all this would eventually lead to illness.

: One more question. I notice that many - if not almost all of you have outdoor enclosures for your torts.... My specific (2) questions for all the seasoned tort owners (especially the ones where it is warm during the day but maybe a little too chilly at night to keep the torts outside (Say maybe 55-60 degrees) are:
: 1. What type of out door enclosure do you have (what is the habitat scheme)
: 2. What type of indoor enclosure do you have to bring them in at night (dimensions/habitat scheme)
: What is your usual routine for getting them out and in.

I keep mine outside all of the time (live in Arizona), so I'll let someone else answer that part.

: I could go to websites to find this info out, but you guys have such good suggestions and you are REAL people taking care of REAL pets and you know what has been working for you.

: Thanks! An exhausted tort owner... Leslie

Just keep learning about your new guy and improve on the things you can that have the most impact (diet, housing). I'd say to get to a point where you feel he's eating right and is in a healthy environment, then take a week off from worrying and thinking about changes--just enjoy him for that week, get to know him and his personality. Some things just take time to feel comfortable--take some time. Russians are pretty hearty li'l torts, you're doing great.

Kathy

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]