kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Couple more questions -- Stress, Day/Night information

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leslie on July 14, 2000 at 09:54:09:

The longer you have a tortoise, the more questions you have.
I have been so stressed out trying to make sure that this tortoise is happy, healthy and not too stressed. I have so much going on in my life, and this is just totatlly exhausting (especially since I have been doing everything myself for now). Maybe I am just worrying too much... I listen to all of your suggestions and try to the best I can...
I changed my torts diet to include lots of mustard greens and better things for him (took him off those froz veggies that the pet store recommended (Cause they had mostly corn, peas and snap peas/green beans) yesterday he was ok with that, in fact he even ate some rose petals and clover/clover flowers last night (he kind of pigged out yesterday... but today, I gave him his breakfast (had to wake him up to do it - I don't think he was ready to wake up) he ate a little and quit. I left the food with him and will check up on him on my lunch.... But
is this normal... for them not to eat that much (after he has been eating hearty like every morning. (maybe he is full from last night.
Also, so many websites and care sheets mention stress... but, if you have seen it would you say the symptoms are?
One more question. I notice that many - if not almost all of you have outdoor enclosures for your torts.... My specific (2) questions for all the seasoned tort owners (especially the ones where it is warm during the day but maybe a little too chilly at night to keep the torts outside (Say maybe 55-60 degrees) are:
1. What type of out door enclosure do you have (what is the habitat scheme)
2. What type of indoor enclosure do you have to bring them in at night (dimensions/habitat scheme)
What is your usual routine for getting them out and in.

I could go to websites to find this info out, but you guys have such good suggestions and you are REAL people taking care of REAL pets and you know what has been working for you.

Thanks! An exhausted tort owner... Leslie

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]