return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Tortoises better off in pairs ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ed on April 28, 2000 at 17:22:40:

In Reply to: Tortoises better off in pairs ? posted by Jen on April 28, 2000 at 11:13:02:

I think the best combination is a male and female because it allows a more natural life and stimulation with male/female courtship. The problem I find with this arrangement is that I have to keep them separated except for supervised conjugal visits because the males continually bite and butt the females and I can tell the female gets stressed out after about 1/2 day of this so except for breeding I have to keep them separated. When I keep 2 males together one of them always decides he's the macho guy and continues to pick on the other guy. In these battles, on two occasions, I've found one of the tortoises flipped over on his back. I've kept two females together and they seem to get along fine but it seems more like they just ignore each other, not like they're being buds or anything. So, if you can keep them separated I'd recommend a male and female. If you have to keep them tofether all the time, two females. I've never seen a herd of tortoises in the wild and I do not think tortoises get lonely I think they do fine by themselves.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]