kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: For Accomplice / Kevin

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Snapping Turtle Forum ]

Posted by Accomplice on December 17, 2002 at 09:15:25:

In Reply to: For Accomplice / Kevin posted by Covenant on December 16, 2002 at 23:18:28:

I'm in the deep south and my alligator snapper will stay in an outdoor pond all year. Yours would be common snappers which are better at dealing with cold weather. Some of the other keepers on this board can tell you how to prepare common snappers for the winter. I'd keep them indoors until they grow larger.

You'll be needing to build a pond when they get bigger. For now a big aquarium or plastic stock tank indoors will work. One option that might make it easier on you would be to find out which ditch/ pond/ etc. is closest to that pool they fell into. That is likely where the mother crawled out of to lay her eggs. When it warms up a bit you could put some of them back into that body of water to make it a little easier on you. 13 is a lot of snappers to handle esp. when grown.

On an indoor setup you'll want to make sure you have the right depth of water in your tank, a UV light for basking, a tank heater (to keep the water temps in the upper 70's), and a log/ rock for basking.

Kevin

:Hello. I'm new to the site and have been searching tons of sites for Alligator Snapping Turtles among a couple other weird turtles. (Mata Mata's for one) But just to be asking where and how do you keep a Turtle that big? I'm refering to your 19" Alligator Snapping Turtle. At the moment I live in an apartment and have 13 hatchling Snapping Turtles that are 3 months old now. A co worker which was my fathers childhood friend, he knew I liked turtles and brought them in to me. He found them in his in ground swimming pool. Brought me all 13 over a 2 week period. Any ways my parents have a huge yard but the whole issue is the weather. I live in Va on the coast and the weather isn't really good for reptiles to be outside except during the summer. Thanks for the info.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Snapping Turtle Forum ]