kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Devil's Advocate?...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by azteclizard on April 16, 2003 at 15:33:44:

In Reply to: Re: Devil's Advocate?... posted by mikecoscia on April 16, 2003 at 12:43:41:

Actually I meant stricly non-prey diet. They can be raised and bred on baby food mixes. The CGD is not the only non-prey option(though it is the easiest way to go). I hate to keep referencing Allen's article in the april 08 issue of reptiles, but his data is prestented there. He did it with several generations at the time of publishing that article. This was all pre CGD. I rember you mentioned that you did your own experimenting and the non-prey group grew slower. Did you use a 2:1 mix at that time? I think higher protein is key. Anyway, every once in a while the question comes up "Do you have to feed them insects?". The answer is no you don't have to. They CAN be raised, they can be maintained and bred on a proper non-prey diet. Whether it is the CDG or a babyfood mix.

-Bill

:I assume I am one of those several people…lol. So let me risk giving some of my input. I have raised a few generations now from hatchlings to breeding adults. In the beginning before CGD I tried both meat/fruit and crix staple diet. Hatchlings on the meat/fruit diet grew slower then their crix staple (and fruit once a week or so) counterparts. In some cases it took them 2 years to reach adult size. The others where hitting 30-40 grams at 6-7 months. After seeing the results in a few dozen animals I consider that a fact not a hunch. You should have said they can be maintained on CGD not “strictly non-prey diet”.

:As for the CGD, never tired it, but plan to eventually. However I do not plan to suddenly pull all my animals off their normal diets (which has proven its worth to me and them) to something I have never used. I am going to experiment with it first before I form an opinion on it, no offense Allen. So until I can compare it myself I stick with what works and is natural. After all why fix it if it’s not broke.
:-Mike

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]