If your worried about him hurting so bad then why are you waiting a week? the long you wait isn't there more of a chance for him to get worse? I don't know about this cause I've never had this happen to any of mine. But the longer he goes seems like he would be more out to get an infection. I mean I'm not saying you should get rid of him, I know how hard it is to get rid of an animal due to an illness or injury. I hope something works out for you!!!