kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Not really.......

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by mikecoscia on January 01, 2003 at 10:14:32:

In Reply to: Re: orange cresties........ posted by G Quirk on December 31, 2002 at 20:53:42:

"This bloodline is born orange and stays that way"

I really don't think there is a single blood line that is born the way it will look when it is a an adult. All cresties change as they get older, much like leopard geckos. Some will get brighter, others duller, and some will totally surprise you. Take a look....

The above change is typical. All most all of my hatchlings look like day 1 when they are born, however in a few weeks they quickly start to change, and continue to do so. Some of the others turned out like this (after looking like day 1 when born).......

This one caught us by surprise as it looks nothing like either parent...

This one turned out to be a mix....

And this gecko ended up being a duller orange then the one up top.

What is even more amazing is that all the color varations you saw above came from the same exact parents (got to love their genetics) that I paired together this past season. Here is what they look like.....

The male

the female

Most of my stock is similar to the adults above, however i do have other morphs that show the same color change. Morphs like harlequins and fires are born with the stripe, however that will quickly change also. Below is one of our fire females...

Gecko two years ago....

Gecko today.

Anyway sorry for the lenghty post. I just wanted to point out how you never know what you are going to get when you buy a young animal. However that is the fun of it. You might buy an average looking hatchling who ends up being a stunner. Looking at slightly older hatchlings (3-5 monts)and their parents, will give you a good "idea" of what the final product will be.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]