kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

anytime...=)........

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by mikecoscia on October 30, 2002 at 18:41:07:

In Reply to: Re: Thank you!....... posted by Mic on October 30, 2002 at 16:55:02:

Mic,
No problem at all, that’s what im here for =). Well you are right about the poultry incubator. Poultry eggs need to be incubated at high temps, and should not drop below 100F, I guess that incubator had something built in to do that. The hovabator is your best bet as im sure you know since you own one. I have that big expensive sportsman hatcher that big apple sells, and I actually like the hovabator better, lol.

Don’t pack the perlite too much. Just measure out the water and perlite so its 1:1 by weight (for example 3 grams water mixed with 3 grams perlite) in a separate container. Don’t worry if it looks like there is not enough water, perlite weighs A LOT LESS then water so its deceiving. Just do the finger test like I said after you mix it (move some around with your finger, if the perlite sticks together your good, if not add some more water. If water pools at the bottom after mixing you added too much). After mixing the perlite place it in your incubation container, I use those disposable Ziploc containers (I place just one hole about a 1mm or so on the side of the container, then open it once or every other week to allow total air exchange. Just don’t keep it open to long you don’t want all the humidity to escape or heat for that matter). Press the perlite down firmly in the container so its not to loose. Then make the depressions with your thumb and place the eggs in them. Push the perlite up to the sides of the eggs so they are held firmly in place, there is no need to cover them completely. I know it sounds hard, but it really isn’t. I was extremely nervous to when I first did this. But after years of practice its second nature. You will get the hang of it soon, just practice some, eventually you’ll be able to eyeball it alone.

As far as the moss goes, it’s not necessary. The moss will suck up a lot of water and hold on to it for dear life, moss just likes to do that. If you were to place your eggs on that, their surface would be constantly wet or at least very damp. This would provide a haven for fungus. So just use the perlite, its hard granular nature prevents it from compacting like regular soil or vermiculite; this allows air to get under the egg. This in turn keeps the bottom of the egg dry, but the air around it humid. And in the end that’s what’s important, because a growing embryo gets the water it needs by absorbing water vapor in the air through its shell, not sucking it up through the medium, that’s a plant thing…hehe.

Anyhoo, I think you’re off to a good start and should be fine. If you have any more questions don’t hesitate to e-mail me, address is above. Good Luck again, and let me know how it turns out!
-Mike

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]