kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: I have an idea on making a

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by Mic on October 25, 2002 at 09:39:17:

In Reply to: I have an idea on making a posted by Lyn on October 25, 2002 at 06:25:22:

Sounds like an excellent idea! I might have to try that one day. The only possible problem, which you may have already thought of, that I can forsee, is the heater itself. You would want to get the smallest heater possible, so that you could sink it to a safe enough depth that it couldn't evaporate enough of the water to dry a portion of itself and crack. Small heaters can produce more heat than you might expect, the only catch is that they will run a lot more of the time than a heater with higher wattage. I guess another way you could keep that from happening would be to make the width of the heated pool great enough to hold a good amount of water. You could perform tests to see how fast a particular heater will evaprate a certain amount of water. Just my imput. Sounds like a great plan, you've already got me thinking! :)

:When I had White's Tree Frogs I had read about taking a bottle full of water with an aquarium heater in it to warm the water, making a nice warm place for them to stick to. I did it and it worked. I was thinking of expanding that idea. Home Depot will cut plexiglass to whatever size you want. I was thinking of getting a sheet to fit either the length or even back width of their tank. I could seal it in real good with aquarium sealer and be sure there was no gap at the top for them to climb into the water. Maybe a strip of foam on top that would bump up against the screen w/out cutting or hurting the screen. I'd section off just enough to fit in the heater so it wasn't touching the plexiglass, it could be suction cupped to the tank glass. Fill that section with water, turn on the heater, take a day or two to get it warmed up and adjusted to a nice temp, and Wahlah - they'd have a warm wall! Another option would be to drill small holes in the top few inches of the plexi and only fill the water to just under the holes, then maybe some of the humidity would get into the tank too, nice warm humid air? Does this sound like a doable project? Anyone forsee any problems I might have? My biggest issue is the cord so far, trying to figure how to close the sliding screen w/ a cord dangling out from the heater. Other than that I really think it would work. I could always do the bottle trick first like my Frogs had, just to see if the Cresteds even want to be on a warm surface.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]