kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Holy crap! Read this and help!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rear-Fanged Forum ]

Posted by deathstalker on October 15, 2002 at 11:24:23:

Hello everyone. I have 10 snakes, including 3 Asian Green Vine Snakes, Ahaetulla prasina, and a Malayan Vine Snake, Ahaetulla mycterizans. Two of my three prasina are JV at about 2-2.5' long, and one of them regurgitated what looks like an egg!!! This egg (or "egg") is about 1/4" and an off-white with very faint ridges or lines the length of the egg.

He has not eaten since 10/1/02--been a couple weeks, I know, but I couldn't obtain any anoles until today--and has never regurgitated anything since I've had him, which has been since last February.

I've kept the two JV prasina together since I got them in February, and like I said, they're about 2-2.5' long. I'm wondering if they're sexually mature and thus possibly copulated...? But if so, the dag snake laid an egg through it's mouth!!!!! If this actually is an egg, that is; I mean, it looks absolutely NOTHING like regurgitated food--it looks like an egg!!! And besides, he hasn't eaten since 10/1/02 and crapped his crap. BUT WHAT IS THIS?!?!?!

I guess I should also mention the scene because I actually saw the whole thing! (They're enclosure is a foot away from my computer desk.) First, he was hanging from a branch so that about 1/4 of his body was on the ground; then, he--or she--started convulsing and twisting its body, more side-to-side but was even upside down at one point! Then, I saw something coming forward thinking it was somehow regurgited food, but then an egg freakin' popped out! It was odd as all get-out! And it happened right after I came back downstairs from coughing of swallowing my saliva down the wrong tube, and it was the worst one in all my 18 years--I couldn't even breathe and struggled for the upstairs!

Could it be that an anole laid an egg in the snake however long ago and just now the snake has reurgitated it? Or is this a method of egg-laying although they're have been no more since the first and when I started typing this post right after? Or is it a most unusual fluke? Just what could this be?!

And as a note, right after this odd happening, the snake resumed to itself normal self and looked right at me when I performed my lizard-mimicking eye "tricks" to it. He's back up on his branch now...

If possible, I will try to take a picture of this egg-like thing and try to get it scanned somewhere--my scanner is unavailable at the time.

Someone please give some input! Thanks!

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rear-Fanged Forum ]