kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: I start introducing females to males after they've . . .>

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]

Posted by gofer on March 10, 2003 at 10:49:00:

In Reply to: I start introducing females to males after they've . . .> posted by terryp on March 08, 2003 at 08:51:19:

Thanks Terry, both hets are in blue now and still a little small in my opinion. but i'm used to corns and pits, so maybe it's just me. What do you feel is a safe size for breeding female and male bairdi? I know that possibly hypo is big enough, she is huge, much bigger than my 3 year old corn. But the two het for albino females are on teh smaller side yet. Thanks for teh advice, greatly appreciated.
Have a good day, and keep me updated on your breedings!
Gregg F.

:eaten a small meal and seem active. I really don't wait for a female shed. If she goes into blue eye then I stop introducing until after the shed. I took my snakes out a week and a half ago and I'm starting to introduce the females to males. If you are going to wait 8 weeks, then you're taking them out too early or cycling them too early. IMHO. Bairds breed late May or early June in the wild. If you're not going to breed yours until then, I'd leave them down. If you've taken them out. I'd start putting the female in with the male a day after she eats unless she's in blue eye. I keep introducing the females until mid summer or longer. I do that with all my snakes that I'm going to breed.

::I have two opinions on that. One is to introduce them after this first shed, just like with corns. And the other advice was to wait at least 8 weeks, or the second shed? Any advice?
::Thanks again, and i'll post pics if i get some babies!
::Have a good weekend,
::Gregg F.

:::for the bairdi and capes. Good luck this year Gregg. I want to see some babies.

::::enough for you to breed in two years. I am planning on breeding mine this year, first time for my breeding of bairdi.
::::Post some pics soon, and have a good day.
::::Gregg F.

:::::I am really excited about these guys! Though they are A LOT smaller than my Adam Block pair, I'm hoping they'll be ready in 2 years or so. Just for the record, they look and act like my other Bairds, although I am certainly no pro on Bairds (only been working with them for a few months). Anyway, as I've said before, I trust the breeder and believe them to be 100% Bairdi.

:::::Sorry, no pics right now. I'll post some soon. Thanks,

:::::Paul

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]