kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Ringneck Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Sumatran Blood Observations

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Python Forum ]

Posted by inchoate on May 01, 2003 at 15:58:23:

In Reply to: Sumatran Blood Observations posted by johnv on May 01, 2003 at 14:24:19:

:I would have to say the Sumatran Bloods are slightly underrated. The only reason I know about them is because I bought one and didnt even know it. I have done a ton of research on the Bloods, and whenever I even come close to "Sumatrans" and "Blood" in the same sentence it usually reffers to the Black Blood. I read somewhere that the Sumatran Bloods are are much calmer than Malaysians. In my obsevations with my Blood, he/she absolutely did not want to bite and never seemed nurvous. Maybe shy, but she grew out of that within 5-7 days. She began to come out of hiding, actually exploring. For a baby she fed pretty well too. I would have to say this is the most docile snake I have ever owned, more so than a Ball.

:I just wondered why this snake was so underrated? Or undersold? Even on the classifieds its just Malaysians Borneos or Blacks. With the good temperament thing you would figure they would catch on? The colors are different too; not so much deep red like Malaysians...more like an amber/orange/reddish color. Just my python inferences!

Both the Blood Pythons and the Short-Tails are among my favorites as well. As to your Sumatran Red, well, the colors are variable- the phenotypes change across Sumatra and Malaysia, so one can't really make categorical comments about color. But yes, they can be very calm, very inquisitive snakes, getting progressively lazy as they age.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Python Forum ]