kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Wulf: If you think that's bad ... look what another paper led with ...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Python Forum ]

Posted by Wes vP on October 27, 2001 at 05:57:19:

In Reply to: these are the pics that make our hobby look bad !!!!!!!!!!! (np)) posted by Wulf on October 27, 2001 at 05:17:37:

Photo: Child playing with Burmese python.

THE PROVENCE (British Columbia) 26 October 01 Will the python stay or will it go? - Kelowna mother battling with Children's Ministry over pet python
Kelowna, B.C.: Kerry-Ann Koop is outraged a social worker came to her Kelowna home to observe her nine children and their pet python.
Her children could be taken away from her because of her devotion to her five-and-a-half metre long snake.
"I’d never leave him alone in the room," said Koop. "I mean he is heavy. If he slithered over the top, he maybe could hurt them because he is 140 pounds and they are little."
But the Ministry of Children and Family Development believes 'Boaz' poses an even greater threat. Because Koop allows her 18-month-old daughter, and her eight other kids to play with the reptile, the ministry says salmonella is a concern. It has given her an ultimatum: get rid of the pet or lose her kids.
Koop believes the health and safety concerns are unfounded.
"I mean if he had bit someone or been aggressive or showed some sign of being, you know, mean ..."
Koop says the Children's Ministry made her a promise that if she kept the python locked up, the issue would be dropped.
But so far, Koop hasn't complied with a demand that she remove the snake from her home.
While Koop was being interviewed, a social worker visited her home, confirming that the ministry is keeping a close watch on the situation.
"They just get the order and they breached our trust completely," said an emotional Koop. "They said they weren’t going to come and they lied ... I agreed to that two days ago. I don’t understand their problem. I told them I would comply with whatever they said. If they need to reinforce the facility then we will do that."
Authorities are now reviewing the snake’s enclosure.
The ministry has also requested the children get tested for salmonella. Koop has agreed to the tests. There is no word yet on when the results will be available.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Python Forum ]