kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Hognose . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - June 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - June 08, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - June 09, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - June 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - June 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - June 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - July 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Playing with fire...........

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Salamander and Newt Forum ]

Posted by joeyjoe on November 13, 2002 at 15:31:05:

In Reply to: Playing with fire........... posted by Double J on November 12, 2002 at 22:37:28:

but african dwarf frogs don't live in tree's, they live in water, but maybe I'm just getting your logic wrong? The 30 gallon tank seems actually kind of awfully big for these 3 tiny frogs as they never even really seem to find each other. I'd say that the water level is about 2-3 inches from the top, and there seems to be a lot of open space that I'm not sure they they would even really come in contact with each other. But then again, I'm just wondering if anyone has ever kept some of these species together. Thanks!

:I will leave a link at the bottom for you to follow. This will make you cringe at even the thought of mixing species.
:But let's step back a minute, and ponder a situation first.
:Look at say, a small bush outside. It looks pretty small doesn't it? Now, imagine one tree frog spending its entire life on the small bush. Hmm, seems a little small, but heck, the frog could live a happy life. Now add another frog. It is pushing it, but it may seem alright. Now, add, say, an anole. Eek, seems a little small doesn't it. Add another anole, and maybe another frog. Getting a little crowded wouldn't you say? So now, we have three treefrogs, and two anoles living their entire lives on this single bush. Doesn't it seem a little small of a space for an entire lifetime of coexistence between these five animals? But wait, now you have to trim away a good portion of the branches, until the small bush is much smaller, say, small enough to fit in a 35 gallon tank. Now things really seem to be crowded. Very, very crowded! Especially when some may think that a tank of this size is in fact a good size. Are you trying to tell me that these three frogs and two anoles can peacefully and "happily" coexist in this very crowded environment? An environment where these five animals of differing species cannot get more than a mere 70 cm away from each other. This sure puts things into perspective, doesn't it?
:Double J
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Salamander and Newt Forum ]