kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Water snake behavior

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Water Snake Forum ]

Posted by Pierson on January 21, 2003 at 16:38:33:

In Reply to: Water snake behavior posted by Mizar 21 on January 21, 2003 at 14:57:56:

Watersnakes are active, high-metabolsim snakes that need to feed relatively frequently. Most species are rather foul tempered when confronted in the wild, and will often bite savagely and expel musk and feces (your "squirt"). They often can be found basking during warm days around the edges of waterways and usually hunt at night during the summer months.
In captivity, some watersnakes will settle down and will lose their biting/musking instincts. Some however, remain foul-tempered to the end. Generally the younger the snake, the quicker it adjusts to captivity.
I provide my Watersnakes with daytime basking lamps. I like that it encourages them to come out of hiding to bask and thus be visible. They also enjoy the security of having deep water in their cages.
Hope this helps and don't hesitate with any more questions.

Pierson

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Water Snake Forum ]