kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Reply to SHvar, etc.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Monitor Forum ]

Posted by monitor_dude on May 19, 2003 at 18:44:38:

In Reply to: Definition of savana... posted by SHvar on May 17, 2003 at 11:55:13:

You know, when I posted that question I didn't think I'd get an attitude-filled reply, but that's beside the point. I did in fact do some research before I bought my sav and nowhere did it say NOT to use sand as a substrate. My brother uses sand for his 1 1/2 foot savana monitor. I've seen pictures of savana monitors where they're in a sandy envrioment. Maybe I should have called the Animal Planet channel and asked them to send me a map showing all the areas where savana monitors live in the wild and cross-referanced that information to a topographical map, then determined where to fly to in order to obtain the most natural home-envrioment fixings for my lizard.
The point I'm trying to make here is that I asked for help from people with much more experiance than myself or my brother or the guy at Petco with savana monitor lizards. As for SHvar's reply, I didn't ask a stupid question expecting to get a stupid answer. I asked a legit question and hoped for an answer that made sense. Thank you Dragoon and savana_man. I'm going to mix the sand with dirt after I build my new enclosure and have closer to 4" of substrate in the bottom.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Monitor Forum ]