kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Tremper incubation method: Cheating?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Leopard Gecko Forum ]

Posted by gekkogecko on May 10, 2003 at 13:28:18:

In Reply to: Tremper incubation method: Cheating? posted by ROI3IN on May 10, 2003 at 01:12:04:

:personally, i would not knowingly buy a geckos incubated by this method, to me it doesnt show true heredity. I personally was looking at some tang albinos from A and M but wont be getting any now, not because they dont have nice stuff, but because i want to be assured that what i am getting is an inherited trait so i can breed it into my colony ,getting as good or better results, not just a pretty geckos which colors were tempature induced. i know some breeders are trying for nice high colored albbinos wichout using this technique, is that so hard to do? i mean it may take some time to get what you want but the outcome is better. lighter,brighter geckos that are genetic-robin

Unless you can trace a gecko's genetic roots you may never know the origin from which it's color came from, natural or breeder enhanced. The only true way to know where the color came from is to cross breed two high colored wild caught Leo's and breed back the babies to the father to increase the color. Here's the rub, in nature the highly colored leopard geckos may have come from an unusually warm breeding season that could had increased incubation temperature that may have caused the enhanced color anyway. That being said, the theory of Tremper's method may be a naturally occuring one in nature depending on the warmth of the season during incubation.

Just a guess,
Bruce N

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Leopard Gecko Forum ]