kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I have to agree

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herp Law Forum ]

Posted by SNAKESDJF on April 01, 2003 at 23:22:20:

In Reply to: releasing animals into the wild posted by GaiasPriestess on April 01, 2003 at 20:50:00:

i know its a shame that people ruin it for us. i 'm not sure in the the state of Virginia, but i think you can report it to department of environmental conservation or wildlife game comm. unfortunately i think it may be hard to prove, unless they catch the guy in the act. i would try your local herp society too. people do not realize how it hurts the environment and local wildlife. i remember year ago i was breeding eastern hognose snakes which were wild caught adults from my area and releasing the hatchlings, so they might have a better chance for surviving, becasue the eastern hognose was declining here on LI, ny but then i stopped doing that. Those snakes were from the area, however its even really bad when people release a snake they bought in a pet store which isn't able to acclimate to the outdoor foreign environment to look for food, introduce a disease to the wild population. the local snakes have a tough enough time competing for food. i 'm trying to find out who to contact and report petshops who have horrible conditions for their animals. Dave

:I know that the release of animals into the wild is a main reason for herps being banned, as well as other animals (the snakehead fish was just banned in VA). If I know someone who is doing this, or planning to, is there a way to report him? It just makes me sick that because of people like him I may have to give up all of my beloved pets. Thanks.
:Heather

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Herp Law Forum ]