kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Ga Snake Laws - Need someones advice

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herp Law Forum ]

Posted by Tom Bennett on September 15, 2002 at 21:16:13:

In Reply to: Ga Snake Laws - Need someones advice posted by totallyreptiles on September 13, 2002 at 11:13:22:

I guess you are dealing with the Department of Agriculture because you do retail sales? I don't know anything about DOA regs but I would assume that DOA would protect and consider native the same species as the DNR list (I know, silly of me to assume government regulations make sense). We are licensed by the DNR to keep native non venomous. They sent us a list with every animal they consider native to GA. The list does not give Latin names but just the common names. Of course Eastern and Florida kingsnakes are on the list with no mention of the non-native varieties.
My only advice would be to check what is actually in print as far as the regulations go. Ask for a printed copy of the regulated animals and laws from the DOA office. We have been told verbally (by supervisors) that we couldn't do something but when we checked for ourselves it was completely legal.
If they try to tell you that in fact california kingsnakes are illegal you could try to make the case that the GA DNR doesn't consider them native but each state agency operates on their own and decides whatever they want for themselves.
Good luck.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Herp Law Forum ]