kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more
return to main index
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  ReptiCon Charlotte - Sept. 23-24, 2017 . . . . . . . . . .  FIRExpo by Repticon - Sept. 23-24, 2017 . . . . . . . . . .  East Coast Reptile Super Expo - Sept. 23, 2017 . . . . . . . . . .  Kansas City Reptile Show - Sept. 24, 2017 . . . . . . . . . .  ReptiDay Gainesville - Sept. 30, 2017 . . . . . . . . . .  ReptiCon Baltimore - Sept. 30-Oct.01, 201 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct. 04, 2017 . . . . . . . . . .  Central Illinois Herp Society Meeting - Oct. 05, 2017 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct. 05, 2017 . . . . . . . . . .  ReptiDay Fort Sarasota - Oct. 07, 2017 . . . . . . . . . . 

record-keeping and cage cards

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Kingsnake Forum ]

Posted by Shanty on May 12, 2003 at 18:39:36:

In Reply to: Tips on record-keeping and cage cards (long, pix) posted by rtdunham on May 11, 2003 at 12:56:21:

Terry -- we should all pick up some record-keeping notions from this post. And I couldn't agree more that keeping good records is essential when following the genetics of a pattern or color I am intoducing into my colony.

Years ago we used to test all the Army officer students where I manage officer curriculum. We noted that 97% of the students scored a high score on a certain test (I won't name the test). It wasn't until we noted, and tracked, the bottom 3% of the scores that we noticed some important trends.

I carried that lesson over to my rcord keeping in my snake room. I no longer keep detailed records. I used to note shed, fed, refused to feed, etc. Now I have 3 X 5 cards with notations on them--BLUE, REGURGE, BRED, NF, etc. These I stick under the lip of the tray filled by the snake in question. I no longer tape these to the top--just stick them under the lip. I only keep about 25 adults these days, 20 juvies, and 30 neonates; no longer have 50 adult rosy boas. So this simple system works for me. When I have BRED a female to a male, I place the card annotated BRED under the female's tray. I write the male's ID number at the bottom of the card. When I see the breeding take place, I place an X above the male's ID number. I have some gravid females right now that I have NEVER witnessed locked up with the male so their cards have no big Xs on them. If I breed her to a second male, and I've done that with two females this season, the card is annotated with the second male's ID number as well. I can walk into my snake room and see those cards with the BIG letters, and I know which trays contain females that have been PLACED with a male. When a female is in the blue, she gets a card with BLUE on it placed under the lip of her tray.

I use the same card system for last year's juvies and neonates of the year. But I don't note good feeders; I note only the PROBLEM feeders. It's easier to pick out the four or six PROBLEM feeders from the 35 to 40 good feeders because they have a big NF for non-feeder annotated on the 3 X 5 card.

If a snake reguritates a meal, I place a 3 X 5 card under that tray with REGURG on it. Again, same rationale. I can pick out the one or two occasional regurgitation problems. I use no heat tapes in my collection composed largely of montane Colubrids that require, and thrive with, lower temps, so I might detect a problem section of the racks if I walk in and have three cards with REGURG on them clustered in a bottom left corner rack near the floor. I'd move those three snakes higher in the rack.

So my approach is minimalist to say the least.

I do have a 3-ring binder that I annote dates when a female is introduced to a male's cage. When I see a mating, I annotate that as well. When she has her first or second shed, I make note of those events. The rest of the year I monitor my snakes without all the record keeping. Lazy? Probably. But I keep adequate records without becoming too anal about them. Others would say I am not anal enough.

Thanks for sharing your detailed record keeping; it is NOT a complicated system. And it is much better than mine.

Shannon Hiatt
Quality Reptiles, Texas

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Kingsnake Forum ]