kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

30 Days from breeding to eggs ! Seems real fast to me ...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Kingsnake Forum ]

Posted by Keith Hillson on May 10, 2003 at 22:25:18:

In Reply to: 30 Days from breeding to eggs ! Seems real fast to me ... posted by rtdunham on May 10, 2003 at 12:13:58:

You are right on the days I forgot there was only 30 days in april. What was the time on your Easterns ? I should mention but I doubt anything happened I did have the 2 together 2 weeks prior to them locking up. It was for 45 minutes and I was in the room but never saw copulation. I guess he could have fired a quick on in her but im pretty sure he did not. Either way the eggs are all candling fertile (knock on wood) so we will see.

Regards

Keith

:That looks like 33 days, if my count's correct, Keith. I have two hondurans laying big clutches of good eggs today, 35 days after their first copulations.

:In 2001 I tallied this information more closely. Here's what i found: Of 25 Honduran females' first clutches, two were laid at 24 and 37 days after the first copulations. Of the other 23, laying occurred 40 to 54 days after the first copulation, with an average of 49 days post-cop. My notes SEEM to indicate the 24-day laying was infertile, I don't have notes on the rest but tdhey were probably at least partially fertile or i'd have noted the infertility.

:Like you, i expect--and want--more than 33 or 35 days to pass. I was a little anxious at the timing, but it seems to have worked out ok. FWIW, a number of my females have shed in anticipation of laying, and it looks like a number of clutches will be as "quick" as these 35 day examples, and it looks like the average will be closer to 40 or at most the low 40s, instead of 2001's 49 day average.

:terry
:albino tricolors
::My female NJ Eastern locked up with my male on the 7th of April and laid 8 good eggs tonight. Ive never had a King go that fast. Anybody else out there have a quick delivery like this ?
::Keith

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Kingsnake Forum ]