kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Pine Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Glass Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - July 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - July 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - July 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - July 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - July 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - July 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - July 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - July 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - July 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

You agreed on several keys...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Kingsnake Forum ]

Posted by Jeff Schofield on March 23, 2003 at 19:01:25:

In Reply to: Re: Maybe a little misunderstanding - yes indeed. posted by Agalinis on March 23, 2003 at 17:02:51:

You confirmed my statements about genetics but didnt bother to dwell on it. You cited 2 animals that still havent made it to the 6' mark never mind beyond..as was my claim. And anyone who knows me from this or other forums knows I dont have to prove my facts any more than anyone else has to...and its not my animal to thaw out! Let me align your site a little more...
The evolution of snake-eating snakes has proven to be the most effiecient in nature. There is enough evidence to conclude from Cobras(king),kings,nd other taxa that the largest examples all show a particular propensity toward snake-eating. While most kings do "graduate" to eating more of a rodent diet its these exceptions,the snake eaters, that get particularly big. Six feet isnt "particularly big" for a king. It is an impressive animal only compared to most 4-5'ers that are kept in captivity. Truely, a parasite load SHOULD slow these animals down but maybe its a particular immunity or digestive process that lets these BIG animals keep their robust appetites. Maybe they are sterile(they are seemingly all males)and that the energy normally devoted to reproduction is also channeled into growth. I had what I thought was one of these special snakes. Of the hundreds of chain king babies I resold for Chuck I held back one that before BREAKING a 10 gallon to get out was 4.5' at only 9 months of age. He ate everything. Rats,mice,but showed a particular propensity for snakes. Bottom line, studies can only be done AFTER a snake has made it to the 7' mark....I suggest taking a good look at the biggest colubrids(ex.Indigos) around the world. They are all snake-eaters. Coincidence? A good arguement,thanks,Jeff

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Kingsnake Forum ]