kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: My 2 cents...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]

Posted by Rob Carmichael on February 06, 2003 at 13:42:45:

In Reply to: My 2 cents... posted by shadindigo on February 06, 2003 at 11:52:35:

I fully understand where you are going with this. All Drymarchon will perhaps be threatened in some way at some point in the future (as will many species of herps). But, I also think that the eastern indigo is the species that is facing immediate threats and perhaps this project will be the thrust for future efforts to save other indigos/cribos. Having a focus on one specific animal will allow this group to more effectively make a significant difference in the conservation of a drymarchon; in this case, the eastern indigo. I am currently working on a similar effort with the Eastern Massasauga (all 'saugas are in trouble to some degree but it is the eastern 'sauga that is the primary focus for fundraising efforts). Having a common vision is critical to making this effort a success and the primary question will be to first determine which Drymarchon to focus on (one or all?) and then focus on the scope or primary purpose for this endeavor. My personal interest is with eastern indigos so my personal desire would be to see this particular snake concentrated on in the initial effort. You will get varying opinions on this (and I may very well be in the minority).

:If this is a breeders iniative then breeders should name it. If this is going beyond just a percentage of sales price and venture into booths, education, pamphlets, (as others suggest) then maybe others should be involved in the naming process.

:More important than the naming issue (personally I don't care what it's called)- is the vision for the organization. Assisting with the Eastern effort in GA is a good start in the near term but to my way of thinking is somewhat limited in scope if that is all that is accomplished by the organization.

:I think there is an opportunity to do many good things here, and the challenges faced are great considering public opinion of snakes in general. But IMHO, it needs to extend beyond the breeders providing a few bucks supporting a study of Easterns in GA. It needs the be the entire Dry community, breeders/keepers/fanciers, kinda like a "Drys Unlimited" as it were (w/o the hunting aspect of course). Participation not predicated by what level of expertise posessed but rather upon the individuals desire/ability to help the cause. Shouldn't be parochial either, the same issues that placed Easterns in a threatened status today will eventually impact other Drys. If this thing flies, there's a lot of work to be done.

:Upon reading this I guess it really should be in the thread below that got this thing started. Sorry, I started with the naming thing and then I was swept into the moment, even echoed a thought or two.

:Regards,
:Jeff Nichols
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]