kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: free roaming

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Iguana Forum ]

Posted by nate351 on April 15, 2003 at 00:11:16:

In Reply to: Re: free roaming posted by kg on April 14, 2003 at 23:29:46:

80 to 82 is okay if you can provide a few good basking spots to allow the ig to raise its temps to the 90's. 50% humidity is too dry, but a good compromise is frequent spray downs with a misting bottle and a daily bath. My igs LOVE being sprayed down, and that allows for good bonding time. Also, beware of hidden treats when you climb into bed at night. My first iguana loved soaking my sheets. The only problem with a humidifier is that 80% humidity has a tendancy to make everything mildew.

As far as a cage goes, I have seen all wire cages. I don't like the idea because it doesn't keep heat or humidity, thus giving you the same problems as free roamers, plus wire can be dangerous when the ig rubs its nose and rips out its claws. There are many great cage designs around on the web sites of people on this forum. Most use a combination of plywood, screen, and plexiglass. Wood works well to close off a side and let the Ig feel secure. Screen ventilates the best and is good at the top of the cage to allow UV and heat from lighting. Plexiglass gives best visibility and holds heat and humidity, but can be scratched up easily and filters all UVB light. 4x5x8 would be a great cage size, but bigger is also better. I don't know about you, but my bedroom is only about 12x15, so a 4x5 cage would take a large chunk out of my living space.

by the way, are you a guy or girl? I have noticed that there have been a lot of younger girls into herps, and when I was your age (10 years ago), that did not exist.

Hope this helps.
nate.

:My whole family is challenged at building things. You should see our dining room table :) I was just thinking about letting it free roam my room, since my mom wouldn't appreciate a giant lizard snuggling up to her in the middle of the night. My room is about 78-82 F during the day. I don't think I can raise the temperatures more than 82 since my crested geckos would stress out from any more heat. Is 50% good for humidity? If not, I have a humidifier. If I do decide to build a cage, is an all wire cage ok? Thanks

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Iguana Forum ]