kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Would a Leu.TX Rat x indigo be possible??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Hybrid Forum ]

Posted by Dwight Good on November 28, 2002 at 02:27:09:

In Reply to: Would a Leu.TX Rat x indigo be possible?? posted by 2garters on November 27, 2002 at 19:04:26:

:Does anyone know if this would be possbile to do? Im assuming its not, but thought it cant hurt to ask. Thanks to anyone who answers.

Possible? Yes.. but it would require some 'skill' to say the least. Your female leucy would likely be ripped apart by a male indigo in spite of any attempts to restrain him. In addition, you would definitely need to have a female indigo on hand to get him in the mood. Indigos aren't exactly the easiest snakes to acquire/keep/breed, etc. Do you know how much a captive bred indigo costs?? I'll give you a hint... it's a helluva lot more than $15-20 each like other colubrids. No offense, but why would you even go through the trouble of attempting this cross? While I certainly get a kick out of riling up the dry/pit crowd on occasion (hehe), crossing an indigo to a texas rat is blasphemy even in my book! If you can afford a pair of indigos.. why not breed them to each other and produce more indigos? *light bulb*

My personal advice would be to find a more ambitious hybridization project. Scrap the leucistic Texas X 'whatever I can get' idea. Think about it, no matter what you breed a leucistic Texas rat to, the eventual result will be a white snake with blue eyes in the F2 generation, so why bother? A white snake is a white snake bud... regardless if it is pyro/greeri/campbelli/guttata/holbrooki/floridana/obsoleta/sirtalis/thayeri/platyrhinos/ruthveni or whatever you decide to mix it with. Does this make sense?

It's a free country so I guess you can do what you want. I'm willing to bet your rat snake x indigo cross fails though, even though it is possible. 2garters, don't take this the wrong way I am definitely not trying to be rude or inflammatory towards you. Just giving you my opinions, :)

To everyone else... don't take this post the wrong way, I haven't lost my marbles and gone anti hybrid... ;)

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Hybrid Forum ]