mobile - desktop
Made in the USA - Freedom Breeder
News & Events:
Posted by Brad on May 03, 2002 at 10:21:33:
Hello everyone. It seems to me that a baby Hognose that won't eat or switch to rodents is a common theme on this forum. I wanted to post a list of different ways I have tried to get mine to eat. This way, anyone having trouble could refer to this list in the future as sort of a "checklist" of ideas. Here is a partial list of possible ways to get a non-feeding Hognose to eat (not in any order).
* Dipping the pinkie in Chicken broth.
* Dipping the pinkie in egg whites.
* Rubbing the pinkie with a frog.
* Rubbing a pinkie with a day gecko.
* Putting the pinkie in a small container with a frog/day gecko for 1 day.
* Split braining.
* Allowing the Hognose to go into "feed mode" with a frog in the cage and then removing the frog and quickly replacing with a fuzzy. (Thanks to this idea from Chris, it worked for me.
* Thawing out a pinkie with warm water then offer to the Hognose.
* Rubbing the entrails of a frog/day gecko on the pinkie.
* Putting the pinkie inside the hollowed out cavity of a frog/day gecko.
* Putting the Hognose inside a small container with the pinkie and leaving overnight.
Any other ideas someone could add? I hope more entries people add to this post might help others facing this common problem.