kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Everyone's input would be appreciated on this...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Hognose Forum ]

Posted by Brad on May 03, 2002 at 10:21:33:

Hello everyone. It seems to me that a baby Hognose that won't eat or switch to rodents is a common theme on this forum. I wanted to post a list of different ways I have tried to get mine to eat. This way, anyone having trouble could refer to this list in the future as sort of a "checklist" of ideas. Here is a partial list of possible ways to get a non-feeding Hognose to eat (not in any order).

* Dipping the pinkie in Chicken broth.

* Dipping the pinkie in egg whites.

* Rubbing the pinkie with a frog.

* Rubbing a pinkie with a day gecko.

* Putting the pinkie in a small container with a frog/day gecko for 1 day.

* Split braining.

* Allowing the Hognose to go into "feed mode" with a frog in the cage and then removing the frog and quickly replacing with a fuzzy. (Thanks to this idea from Chris, it worked for me.

* Thawing out a pinkie with warm water then offer to the Hognose.

* Rubbing the entrails of a frog/day gecko on the pinkie.

* Putting the pinkie inside the hollowed out cavity of a frog/day gecko.

* Putting the Hognose inside a small container with the pinkie and leaving overnight.

Any other ideas someone could add? I hope more entries people add to this post might help others facing this common problem.

Brad

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Hognose Forum ]