kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Why?... Are you writtin' a book?...... (LOL)......

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Heloderma Forum ]

Posted by Jackie Lapradd on February 17, 2002 at 23:57:17:

In Reply to: Why?... Are you writtin' a book?...... (LOL)...... posted by kerry on February 17, 2002 at 21:11:24:

Kerry, Why do you feel it necessary to use subtle sarcasm in your replies? I feel that you are a large part of why less people are posting on the forum. It is becoming more and more obvious with each reply. True, few people have your knowledge of the natural history of these animals but it does this forum little good if you can't control your condescending remarks. It is quite obvious that you think of yourself as some sort of crusader for Heloderma but you must realize that not everyone on this forum is interested in collecting animals from the wild. You have stated several times that the concern of many hobbyist is making money from the breeding/selling of these animals. Do you really believe this to be the main reason many of us keep these animals? I for one have had my fill of where you are taking this forum and will now settle for sitting on the side lines and watching.
Take care Johnny Lawless whoops, I mean Kerry(see sarcasm is contagious)
Jackie Lapradd

: : No pun intended.

: : I have some questions....
: :
: : 1. Kerry how often do you come across road kill gilas?

: >>> When I used to do lots of herping it was fairly regularly, sometimes several in a year.
: -------------------------------------------------

: : 2. Is it more common then finding them alive? In other words I'm curious if area "sightings" have been established solely on the fact of finding a road kill as opposed to ever finding one alive.

:
: >>> No, but then the dead ones DO stay on the road longer(LOL). When it comes to finding Gilas on the road it has been my experience that about half of them have been run over. Keep in mind that my eyes are well trained and constantly watching for them and other herps when I'm on the road. I've seen as many as 12 on the road in one year, with a few of those being just off of the road onto the shoulder.

: In some areas it appears that Gilas have enough inteligence(?) to be able to live along roadways without being to adversely affected by them. There are areas I know of where there are very healthy populations of them right along side of extremely busy highways, yet you never see them in the road, live or dead.

: : 3. Do they tend to be more juveniles or adults or is it a mixed ratio?

: >>> Small ones are pretty infrequent, and almost always seen after dark when the heat is on. The size ratio is probably something like 3 and sometimes 4 adults to every sub-adult, with 1 and sometimes 2 out of every 10 being very small.

: : 4. Is it more common at different times of year?

: : I know they have activity peaks but I wonder if the road kills are while crossing the road or while trying to absorb heat from the asphalt.

: >>> That depends pretty much on where you are. In south central Arizona you should be expecting to see one on the road anytime in April all the way through October in years with above average rainfall and earrlier than normal summer "monsoon" season. What DOES change for finding them alive on the road during this time is the time of day. That's something that your gonna have to learn for yourself, though... Sorry!!! (LOL) In all of the time I've been watching for them, I have only once come upon one that was trying to draw heat from the asphalt, he was an average sized adult actually lying sprawled-out asleep on the center line at about 1:am in an extremely remote area with very little traffic.

: :
: : Any answers you could give would be appreciated.

: >>> I should be charging for this kind of stuff. I can just imagine the "wheels of opportunity" a turnin' in some peoples heads right about now!!! (LOL)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Heloderma Forum ]