kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Good lookin' animals......

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Heloderma Forum ]

Posted by kerry on January 07, 2002 at 22:15:24:

In Reply to: Here are the parents...please be gentle (LOL) posted by kearley on January 07, 2002 at 17:34:51:

......First, I need to make one thing perfectly clear: I have never called anyone's animals ugly, just less than "pure" in those cases where some people(no names this time) were claiming their animals to be something that they weren't according to the currently accepted scientific rules, or "key". The real disappointment or percieved "abrasion" lies within the keepers reaction to the possibility that now perhaps his or her animal may not be quite as valuable as they had thought, or worth as much as they had paid for it. But then its a perfectly normal reaction to want to shoot the messenger rather than the culprit.

As soon as I saw your adults I recognized some very familiar pattern character types that are fairly common in lizards form north and east of the Phoenix metropolitan area. According to the current range maps(which need to be thrown out, IMO) animals from that area fall into suspectum, but in reality is right about in the center of what should at least be considered a very broad intergradation zone. I have personally seen lizards from the Scottsdale/Mesa/Apache Jct. area that look identical to these. Do you know if the pair is related? There are a few more cinctum indicators in the male than in the female.

Please don't get me wrong... I actually PREFER these "intergrades" above most of the others because not only do they retain banding, but quite often the lines tend to be finer(like in these) and lend themselves to a more attractive almost "flower like" appearance within the bands.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Heloderma Forum ]