kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: here is what i say about this...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The General Snake Forum ]

Posted by Firebringer on April 08, 2003 at 21:33:35:

In Reply to: Re: here is what i say about this... posted by oldherper on April 08, 2003 at 09:27:13:

I've heard of the shivering response, too, but I've never heard of it in anything other than an incubating snake either. Pozie doesn't seem to spend any more time on the hot side of her cage than she used to since she's fallen ill; she's always loved to spend a lot of time there...especially when her bedding is thick and she can burrow deeply. Someone needs to tell her than corn snakes are terrestrial creatures. ;)
I purchased a large pack of paper towels today along with some higher-wattage lightbulbs, and I'll empty her cage this evening, time permitting. I've also finally located a pet store (only an hour's drive away =P) that will freeze live mice upon request, so I can finally be sure of her dinner's freshness. Keep your fingers crossed for us!
Now I just have to figure out what to do with 10lbs of pine shavings. ;)

-Fire and Prozac-

:Fever (in the case of infection)is a reponse of the immune system causing the production and release into the bloodstream of endogenic pyrogens. It is thought that fever is beneficial to the function of the immune system in fighting the infection, because along with the increase in body temperature there is also in increase in leukocyte production as well as a decrease in the rate of division (or reproduction)of the bacterial or viral pathogen. Reptiles produce the same pyrogens, but will also seek warmer areas when they are fighting infection. Some reptiles (some Pythons) also have the ability to raise their own body temperatures by "shivering". This is normally seen in females that are incubating eggs. I'm not sure if it's ever been observed in sick animals that are not incubating.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The General Snake Forum ]