kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Pet Shops

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Lizard Forum ]

Posted by GaiasPriestess on February 24, 2003 at 22:43:59:

In Reply to: Pet Shops posted by Deke on February 23, 2003 at 18:55:36:

Yes, many pet shops don't give a d@mn about the animals. It's sad, but true. I work at a PetsMart, and although I never had a high opinion of PetsMart before, my views have changed a little. My managers, for the most part, only care about the money. When an animal dies or escapes, the first thing out of their mouths is "Sh!t, that was $25" or something similar. While I don't like this, I am glad that at least there is SOME incentive to care for the animals properly. As far as the specialty team at my store goes, we're all pretty knowledgeable. We have one girl who knows just about anything and everything about little fuzzies (as I call them), a few people who are really good with fish, and me. While I can't say that I'm an expert, I know a lot more than the average Joe about reptiles, especially husbandry. I certainly know more than most people in my area. I try to pass on as much information as I can. When someone asks me one question about a particular animal, I tell them everything I know about it, because many times people don't even know to ask the things that are most crucial. As far as care goes, I am VERY protective of "my" reptiles. I kinda claimed them since I am the most knowledgeable about herps of all the staff... or else they appointed me the reptile girl, something like that. Anyway, I check on them at least once a day, do everything I can for them, and I really come down hard on people when my babies aren't being taken care of (whether or not I have the authority to). Some people might think I'm a b!tch for it, but I don't care if I'm a b!tch, as long as the animals don't suffer. On the rarer animals we get in, I give the purchasing customer my home number and email in case they have any questions. I don't know a whole heck of a lot about the rarer ones (like the red-headed agama), but if they ask for info that I don't have, I go look it up. Sorry if it sounds like I'm tooting my own horn, I don't do this often and I'm just very proud about how much better the reptiles look since I got there. Everything's fat and healthy, and if the animals could comprehend it, they would know there is at least one associate who cares about every single one of their lives. They are not just goods or ways to make money, they are living beings who depend entirely on us for everything they need. If we can't give that to them, who will?
Heather

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Lizard Forum ]