kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Where's the jaw tape? ....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Alligator and Crocodilian Forum ]

Posted by Ravenspirit on April 09, 2003 at 08:22:40:

In Reply to: Re: Where's the jaw tape? .... posted by Bill Moss on April 08, 2003 at 17:40:09:

I do agree with you a little about letting another hold her - I could not "stop her" if she wanted to bite, nor move quick enough to intercept and get bit myself, instead. I guess I will not do that anymore - Its not fair to put another "at risk" Holding her -

I will, because Im so sure of her tempermant, and conditioning, continue to travel with her, and to handle her regularly, tape free - If I want to put myself "at risk" from her, its my problem - Just as people who own dogs, are themselves at risk, when they play/work/train thier animals.

I know someones going to jump in here and say, its all of our problems, because YOU will ruin this for us ! - To that I say, no more then all the young alligators sold, abadoned, and abused we see. No more then the misinformation spread about, about crocodilians. No more then the laws nameing these as dangerous animals, and preventing them from being kept. If I do get bit, well, I guess the laws are right...

I do not consider osceola a dangerous animal.

I Would not take the risk of loseing my beloved animal, if I thought, in the back of my mind, in the situations she is in, that she would bite, me or another.

I do find it interesting how everyone points out the detrements to the hobby an animal like her, and a keeper like me "could" cause - Rather then any potential positives of her calm, well trained demeanor - I disagree that animals like this can not be "tamed" - Granted, not as you would tame a domestic, like a dog, but more as you would behavorally condition, like a parrot, or bird of prey -

I truly believe these animals trainable. As a matter of fact, alot like birds. I do not consider any of my animals "dog tame" and am always carefull to read thier behavior, on that particular day, before subjecting them to situations. As I do my birds. If anything "bird tame" would IMHO be more realistic.

I had posted a short while ago, about an episode of national geo's reptile wild, where crocs were being trained. I was impressed to see "leaders in the field" using similar tequniues to those I have been working my crocs on sience I had aquired them. I do not say this to sound a know it all, or anything, just that I thought the best way to include these animals into my life was as animals that were handleable, and trained to be "safe" and workable around people.

I am not some youkel who drags my alligator out into the publics eye for shock value. I respect, value and love these animals, not just as individuals, but as a species -

Just my thoughts -

Raven

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Alligator and Crocodilian Forum ]