kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Where's the jaw tape? ....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Alligator and Crocodilian Forum ]

Posted by Bill Moss on April 08, 2003 at 17:40:09:

In Reply to: Re: Where's the jaw tape? .... posted by Ravenspirit on April 08, 2003 at 17:03:17:

Raven,

I would strongly urge you to rethink your position on this. If a bite were to happen, it would be so fast that you could not react. A friend of mine (and one who is well enough known that most would probably recognize the name) had a female gator that he worked with for four years and to which he referred to as "dog" tame. Then one day, out of the blue and for no apparent reason, she bit his arm while he was holding her and opened him up to the tune of over thirty stitches.

I would personally NEVER allow anyone from the general public to hold one of my gators. The risks are too great, as John pointed out, not only to yourself financially, the injured person for what could be permanent and disfiguring injuries, and to the hobby in general.

Food for thought.

Bill

:I used to tape her, but she has never given me a reason to worry about tapeing her jaws - If you notice the placement of my hand when children are petting her, I Keep myself braced, just in case - When the man held her I was right to the side of him, in case she were to try to take off or something.

:I wouldnt even try to take her out if I thought she would become aggresive - or would bite - Of course she is cpable of biteing, as is any animal, but I honestly believe that she is a safe animal to interact with -

:Her untaped jaws are near my face constantly throughout the trip, and I have never had a problem with her being the least bit agressive - I have her so condidtioned that she wont even eat unless she in her pen - On her trip to visit family with me this new year, she refused food that was offered 2 weeks while she was away, but ate the night we got home, and she was returned to her enclosure.
:
:Im well aware what could be "at stake" if she were to bite someone - and, again, she would not even be out with me if I thought, even in the back of my mind, that she would "loose her cool"

:Raven -

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Alligator and Crocodilian Forum ]