kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Garter vs Ribbon

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Garter and Ribbon Snake Forum ]

Posted by snakeguy88 on January 27, 2003 at 17:08:04:

In Reply to: Garter vs Ribbon posted by Valencia on January 27, 2003 at 09:49:09:

The guy at the pet store said they are fairly easy to keep. He said they live at room temp, no heat rocks and lamps like my previous iguana's. He also said they just eat fish, just drop them in the water bowl. After reading the forums I'm starting to question his opinion though and thinking about a garter or a green snake. My question is, what's the comparison of there feeding (how often and what) and settings(temp, cage size and heaters)? My husband can't say no to our daughter, so I can actually finally get my snake, because she's still persistantly asking for the ribbon snake after 4mos.

The keyword is petstore. Almost anything that comes out of a pet store employees mouth is normally aimed at getting you to buy the snake no matter what the care looks like. I have heard that iguanas love crickets every other day and that garter snakes eat crickets and mealworms. I use a light for my Thamnophis as they seem to like to bask. Heat rocks are a big no-no for any kind of animal. I feed mine a couple of times a week on small minnows or baitshop fish. I give them pinky mice once or twice a month. Feed according to appearence. There is not guide that is set in stone. Garters have a high metabolism that can also vary through temperature, so if the snake looks fat, cut back. If it looks skinny, feed a little more. They will also eat nightcrawlers. A 10-20 gallon long tank should do the trick. Aspen is a good substrate as they can burrow. A large water bowl is a nice idea so that the snake can soak if it wants. They will also eat their fish right out of the bowl. I think that is pretty much it. you can give them a hidebox, but mine prefer to burrow instead and the hides went unused. Andy

:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Garter and Ribbon Snake Forum ]