kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Well, this is why I asked for FROG advice...read on....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Frog and Toad Forum ]

Posted by Zeb on April 15, 2003 at 21:06:57:

In Reply to: Re: Whoa....read this before you get upset. posted by markc on April 15, 2003 at 19:09:45:

Mark replies: no you are wrong. your ideas have many flaws.
Maybe I am...that's why I'm asking for frog advice.

Mark replies: the fish will defend themselves? what is that? the fish will bite the frogs toes.
Yes, the fish defend themselves. What is that? Well, usually it's just a display such as body shaking, turning to their side, and "fake" charging. Generally that fends off the intruder....if not, the fish fights or runs away. With a frog, the fish I'm thinking of would hide if the intimidation method doesn't work out. But like I said, I wouldn't intend the frogs to be aquatic and really should never be around the fish. This is why I asked for specie suggestions.

Mark replies: you are not thinking this through!
YES, I am. I didn't buy a thing...I've thought about the fish I know of, and now I'm asking people who have kept frogs. I'm not set on having frogs, or the fish for that matter. I'm just considering my options...

Mark replies: besides the other obvious thing is that a deep water section for the fish takes up too much room for other stuff that the treefrog needs, like trees. if half of the tank height is water where will the frog climb?

Well, that is why I proposed two possible ( and note I said possible ) ways to do that....one, I didn't say tree frogs would work. I was asking. A smaller specie may not require too much space. The entire tank doesn't need to be half water...the fish could be kept shallow, OR I could have half of the tank ground for terrestrial species which would not go into the water too much, if that's even possible. I could even have fish in a false bottom, with an land area easy to remove for access to the water. OR I could build an add-on to the 40-long, such as one I've seen for water dragons.

Now, I just want to say this.

1. I'm not going to hurt any living thing. I'm asking, in case you haven't noticed. This is how you learn....

2. This is all just an idea at this point.

3. Don't treat me like an idiot, nor a child. I am neither. I've been polite and reasonable...return the favor. Stick to the subject...if you don't agree, say so and state why. Or give other ideas. If not, don't reply.

Like I said, the fish aren't a must-have. I'm interested in a single specie, frog only tank too.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Frog and Toad Forum ]