kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Crotalus horridus

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Field Collecting Forum ]

Posted by CCD on April 02, 2003 at 21:46:11:

I live in Va. and was hoping to do some snakehunting this year. I've only lived here a couple years now and haven't quite gotten around to it. Nevertheless, I have two main questions:

1.) Basically my questions are related to how hard a find some species are, such as Timber rattlesnakes? I haven't really heard to much about anyone finding them here, other then Steve-O and O'shea.

and

2.) Akgistrodon piscovorus - I've heard/read a few different things about them in this area. How rare are they to find and photograph??

Those are my two main inquiries. For those of you who are familiar with the state, I was hoping you guys could fill me in on what I can expect to find and what species are near impossible to find. Also a little tidbit, I live just south of Richmond, as for having to travel towards the NC border, are there any species in that area that don't live more into Va. or are easier to find(In other words, how sketchy are the borders in most the books that give locations of the different species). I also realize that some/most(??) of you don't like giving specific information about locations and whatnot, if there are those of you willing to help and would rather do it via E-mail, please let me know and I'll post my E-mail address.
Greatly Appreciated
CCD

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Field Collecting Forum ]