kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Feed of all sorts and kinds....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Feeder Forum ]

Posted by sasheena on April 22, 2003 at 00:39:37:

In Reply to: Re: Poll: What do y'all pay for 50#s of rabbit pellets? posted by JM on April 21, 2003 at 20:34:52:

I live in a very rural area, commuting from Phoenix about 30 miles and driving past two or three feed stores. Since they are right on our commute, I've tried a LOT of the things they offer to see what was the most cost effective, etc.

Some of the items I've tried

50# sunflower seeds $10.00
50# Sweet Feed $6.50 (It grew mold and the mice didn't like it)
50# COB (Corn Oats Barley) $7.50 (mixed with dog food and sunflower seeds was the most successful)
50# dog food at PetSmart $12.00 (mixed with the sunflower seeds, and COB it's less than $30 for 150#... my only problem was moths)
50# rabbit pellets for bedding $8.00 (too heavy)
9 cubic feet pine $6.99
50# Chicken Scratch $7.50
50# rodent blocks through Fowler's Food $12

One thing I found was that I got strange looks when I explained I was feeding mice. Their response: "The mice will eat ANYTHING we sell... we have to guard against mice infestations here at the feed store".

One of these days I'm going to go back into the warehouse and read the nutritional information on all of the bags of different kinds of feed and see if there is any other feed I haven't tried that the mice would like.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Feeder Forum ]