kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Very nice !

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Elapidae Forum ]

Posted by Jeremy G on January 02, 2003 at 15:14:50:

In Reply to: Re: Very nice ! posted by BrianNielsen on January 02, 2003 at 11:36:02:

Hi Brian,
Im curious, did you burmate your Aspidelaps? If not, did you give them any sort of cool down or fasting period? The reason I ask is it seems cool down is esential to sucsessful reproduction with this sp. My pair of Lubricus(actually the female is an intergrade but looks pure pub)went at it hardcore last year, several times and my female ended up produceing 2 clutches of infertiles on me. Its seems the males was shooting blanks. i know with alot of other snakes burmation seems to play a role in sperm reliability and production and from the evidence that I have gatherd(both from my and many other peoples attemps)Aspidelaps seem to fall into this catogorey. Being that you said they are going at it right now made me wonder. You must keep in mind that they do experince a winter period and it would seem alot of people state side do not supply them with this because of their African origin.

Another question, while introduced, what are you doing to stimulate mateing? With all of my Aspidelaps(lubricus ssp and scutatus)misting was a vital key in getting them in the mood. Hell, my male scutatus would try and rape the female within seconds of water hitting the cage. Though it sounds like yours are doing just fine on their own, for the lubricus, I would highly recomend it if you hadnt planned on it.

Well man, nice looking critters and I wish you alot of luck with them. BTW, if you produce any PURE lubricus (Must not have even a trase of infuscatus in em)I am in desprate need of a female. Let me know and Ill do the same(Ill be putting mine together in alittle over a month(after they have been brought back up to temp and fed)

Take care and heres a pic of my intergrade female and adult male lub.

Thefemale is the larger one:-) She measured at 34 inches the last time I took her out! She is far and away the biggest CC I have ever seen!! The male, at just over 20, is 4 yrs old! She is a few months younger then him!!!! I guess that infuscatus blood really does make a difference, huh?:-)

Peace,
J

:It is also my favorite snake and I have 2.2 Aspidelaps l. infuscatus breeding right now and I will try to get my 4.2 Aspidelaps l. lubricus started later this year.
:If anyone know where I can get Aspidelaps l. cowlesi I would be very happy !
:Try to look at my snakes on http://community.webshots.com/user/briannielsen

:

::Hey, I got some more Aspidelaps... Gotta love them.

::I have 1.1 Aspidelaps lubricus lubricus, and I just picked up 1.1 Aspidelaps lubricus infuscatus last night! Awesome little animals!

::Anyway, enjoy!

::

::Female

::another pic of the female

::and yet another pic of the female!

::The little male

::Same male, different picture