Re: BIG SNAKE IN BARN

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Dallas - Ft. Worth Herpetological Society Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michael on July 04, 2000 at 19:41:06:

In Reply to: BIG SNAKE IN BARN posted by Donna Jones on July 04, 2000 at 09:59:19:

Hello,

A big dark snake in a barn, with the size you mentioned, is probably a Texas rat snake (though we'd need more info to be sure). Texas rat snakes are common, are good climbers, and are also found under cover on the ground. They eat lots of rats, so it might be a good snake to have around.

Copperheads are indeed smallish and would not be as big around as a tennis ball. Leather boots would be somewhat helpful, especially for a smaller venomous snake (like a copperhead) that could strike if stepped on but probably couldn't bite through the boot.

If it would be helpful, email me with more info and we'll see if there are any other ideas. Snakebite in our area is a rare thing and most snakes you'll see will be harmless (like the Texas rat snake).

Michael Smith
Editor/Secretary, DFW Herp Society

: Yesterday I happened across a large snake in my barn under a stack of lumber. [...] Anyway the part of him I saw was solid black or dark grey and quite large, almost as big around as a tennis ball [...] Besides, I thought Copperheads were smallish. [...] BTW, I'm wearing leather boots. Do they help any to protect from snake bites?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Dallas - Ft. Worth Herpetological Society Forum ] [ FAQ ]