kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

cross-referencing enclosure set ups

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Cyclura and Ctenosaura Forum ]

Posted by Vargas on April 27, 2003 at 09:04:35:

Hi All,
I'm currently setting up a habitat for a Hybrid Cayman/Cuban. Sorry to keep bringing this up but the only way I can sort of feel my way around the care for a Cyclura is to match information against what I use for my Green Iguana. For my Green Ig the substrate is pretty much boring old Astroturf as my lizard only comes down to floor level to scratch at the door to get out (she does this if she wants more attention after being handled a long time and liking it) or to poop. Of course if she was gravid I would set up for that at ground level of the enclosure. The rest of the time she spends up on various basking spots off the ground. I am assuming Cyclura (Hybrid Lewisi) may spend more time on the ground. Are enclosures usually including sand, decomposed granite, big rocks, palm trees, along with basking spots that are common for green iguanas? Horizontal surfaces made of wood so the lizard can lay flat and get sun or UVB, I imagine are equally important. The information I saw already is posted on Cyclura.com and it sounds ideal. I I do have a good idea from what I am reading on www.cyclura.com but I am just cross-referencing as a lot of you I bet have the ideal setups for your exotic lizards already.
Thanks! Steve
PS By the way I took someone’s advice to look up www.weather.com to find the current temps in George Town, Cayman Islands – what a simple and perfect way to gauge gradient temperatures and night-time temperatures. The basking temps will be higher. Now if I can just get the money together to go check the weather there in person! I hear it’s an amazing place especially if you like diving and of course Cyclura.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Cyclura and Ctenosaura Forum ]