kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Breeding for Blizzards - Good grief I love em!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Corn Snake Forum ]

Posted by Hurley on April 20, 2003 at 20:44:38:

In Reply to: Breeding for Blizzards - Good grief I love em! posted by Taceas on April 20, 2003 at 20:16:28:

:I am interested in breeding my corn snakes, and ultimately hoping to achieve blizzards if at all possible.

What do you currently have?

:Could someone break down what individuals I would be better off to start with to get a faster result?

LOL, obviously the fastest would be to breed 2 blizzards. ;) What are your wants in regards to this? Are you wanting to make your own blizzards from scratch or do you want to make blizzards from non-blizzard parents or are you looking for the greatest variety in the clutches?

:For example:
:1. What should the Parents be? (Charcoal x anything amel?[or does it have to be a snow corn])

In order for you to get blizzards in the first generation, each parent must carry at least one gene for amel and at least one gene for charcoal each. It doesn't matter what they are, otherwise. You could start with normals het for charcoal and amel, amels het charcoal, charcoals het amel, or blizzards. Any combo of these can give you blizzard hatchlings in the F1.

FYI, snows are homozygous (carry both genes for) amelanism and anerythrism (type A). They may be helpful in throwing the amel gene towards your goal, but the anery part won't do much for you if you are looking for blizzards and not snows.

:2. If I don't achieve blizzards in the F1 generation, which of the theoretically produced offspring should I breed back to one another to gain the end result I'm looking for?

If you don't want blizzards until the F2, then you could breed a blizzard to a normal ==> F1 Normals 100% het amel and char

Breeding the F1's together would give you a 9331 mix of 9 normals (67% het amel, 67% het char), 3 amels (67% het char), 3 charcoals (67% het amel), and 1 blizzard statistically.

Or...breeding an F1 normal het amel and char x the blizzard parent ==> 25% normals het amel and char, 25% amels het char, 25% chars het amel, and 25% blizzards...a much more satisfactory hatchling count in my opinion. You have known hets and a more even distribution of morphs to play with. :)

In all honesty, the combos are endless. You have to decide what your goal is...if you just want to produce blizzards, breed a pair of blizzards. If you want to produce only morphs (no normals), but still want variety, then breed amels het char or chars het amel, or either of these two to a blizzard. ...and so on.

Let us know what exactly you are hoping for, and someone here can probably narrow it down a little. :D

Take a gaze through Serpwidgets' genetics tutorial. It'll help this all make sense. Then you can join the certifiably insane corn genetics geeks that just live to think up all the crosses and work out the different results possible. Be very careful, though, it's addictive. Have fun!

Hurley

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Corn Snake Forum ]