kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Frog . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Chameleon . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Nother trick that works on fruit flies..

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Corn Snake Forum ]

Posted by Taceas on September 24, 2002 at 22:05:18:

In Reply to: What you have is phorid flies.... posted by Phillip on September 24, 2002 at 17:07:17:

I don't know if they would be attracted to the same stuff, but I've found when you get an infestation of fruit flies in your house. Which happens quite a lot to me this time of year as I'm picking and keeping a lot of the end of the season's tomatoes in the house.

I found this out by accident. Take a wine bottle, and leave about 2 centimeters worth of wine in the bottom. They're attracted to the alcohol/fruit ripening smell, enter the bottle, get confused and end up drowning. Found out by accident as my fiancee set a nearly spent wine bottle on the top shelf in the kitchen. Since I'm almost a foot and a half shorter than he, I didn't notice till about a week later. Climbed up on the counter, got the bottle and to my surprise the bottle had more fruit flies than the tomatoes in my laundry room. Have used this method since with pretty good success. Slices of banana in with the wine is like cocaine for fruit flies it seems. They just can't say no. ;)

Now that y'all probably think I'm the worst housekeeper with this post and my pop can with maggots post..I'll just get on to bed. =P

Misty

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Corn Snake Forum ]