kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Some fundamentals about colouring...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Collared Lizard Forum ]

Posted by kev on May 07, 2003 at 07:28:35:

In Reply to: How do you keep your colors??? posted by Aesear on May 05, 2003 at 17:33:07:

It seems your collareds may have been unhappy due to their surroundings. The colouring, or intensity of colour, is affected directly by the way you house them.

The first thing that you should have done was get a larger tank. A 20-gallon tank is WAY to small for even a single collared lizard. And the fact that your collareds were wild caught means they need even more space than captive bred collareds. I would say a minimum 50-gallon tank is required for a pair of WC collareds. Larger is always better.

Second, were the temperatures in the tank correct? I found temperature plays the largest roll in reptile colouring. If your tank is cooler than it's supposed to be, your collareds will be duller in colour. For collareds, the tank should have a proper temperature gradient of 90 degrees to 75 degrees with an elevated basking area in the 'hot' end of 105 to 115 degrees.

Although diet is also a factor in colour I've notice as long as you properly supplement with calcium and the occasional vitamin powder colours, and health, of your collared will be optimum. I've experimented with different foods and supplements and didn't notice any considerable differences between them when it came to the colour of my collareds.

One last note, wild caught lizards (animals in general) never do as well as captive bred lizards. If you do plan to keep collareds in the future, insure they are captive bred.

Hope this helps.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Collared Lizard Forum ]