kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

But have we???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Collared Lizard Forum ]

Posted by DC on May 10, 2003 at 12:08:10:

In Reply to: But have we??? posted by kev on May 10, 2003 at 09:30:59:

[snippage, 'fore and aft]

Housing does indeed play a role in colour, or stress (or whatever your want to call it, but for sake of argument let’s call it stress). You put a reptile in a small area that they’re not comfortable in, be it 20 gallons or 100 gallons, they’re going to be stressed.

This will undoubtedly be true at the lower end of an individual animal's specific tolerance. Keys being "individual" and "lower".
Some will do fine in a mason jar, others will fail to thrive no matter what you provide. Keeping this grounded to a single case in point, we (were/are?) discussing "probably" wild caught lizards which seemed (from the description) to be showing all other signs of successful acclimatization to the captive enclosure provided. The fading in coloration is not unexpected and could even be described as a typical observation in this type of wild-to-captive transition. The slippery slope here is in ascribing this color loss to a projected human emotional state such as unhappiness, and then offering solutions which also follow human emotional loadings involving concepts such as *freedom* and *longings* and other attendant baggage. I simply take that exception to your offering the larger enclosure size as a panacea for things related to color. In the absence of all the other typical indicators of stress, I expect the color loss would have taken place no matter what size enclosure was provided for these particular lizards.
As far as releasing captive lizards goes, I must still insist it is bad, bad. There is an interesting thread discussing this very thing (by a miracle of good timing LOL), located on a F. herping forum "on another network". I hate that I can't just post you a link to it here....

...And I don't do it if there is no fun involved, or at least some minor entertainment potential. *Thick skins* should be included with every modem or hook-up, by law LOL.

DC

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Collared Lizard Forum ]