kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Newly acquired Collard Lizard, acclimation:questions????

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Collared Lizard Forum ]

Posted by JustinM. on April 22, 2003 at 14:25:47:

I purchased a collard lizard at the New England reptile convention this past Saturday. I decided to get him/her because I haven't had one since I was 14. Collard lizards are one of my favorite lizards...............Anyways, I'm having eating problems.
He/she is robust, alert and active. I currently have him/her housed in a 15 gallon long with a yellow throated plated lizard I'm trying to recouporate back to health. Both lizards aren't eating and I have placed them together since they share rather the same set up: desert. They don't bother each other and bask near each other. I have one side of the cage with a soil/play sand substrate and rocks for basking and a piece of pottery smashed to make a cave for hiding. The spot bulb is placed over a rock with a 75 watt soft-white bulb. On the other side of the cage, the cool side, there is a large, broad leafed fern plant, the water dish and soil as the substrate.
My collard lizard has not ate anything since I purchased him/her............I have only tried crickets since I haven't gone out to the pet store for waxworms, pinkies and/or superworms. I don't remember my previous collard lizard being a finicky eater; rather he was a voracious eater. Do you think heat may be an issue and I should add 1 more bulb??? My room temperatures vary from 75 during the day and drop to 70 at night. I have alot of herps and inverts in my bedroom so the ambient temperature is just right and each individual animals' cage allows for proper thermoregulation from a hot spot to a cool side. Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks!

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Collared Lizard Forum ]