kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

what type of plywood?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Caging Forum ]

Posted by Krystal19_85 on April 28, 2003 at 17:01:37:

In Reply to: what type of plywood? posted by chris_harper2 on April 28, 2003 at 15:34:16:

OK Here is the updated plans, My mom gave me an awesome Idea though, tell me if you think it will work (I revised it in my revised plans below).

>3.5'x1.5'x1.5'

The reason for the size (3.5' instead of 4') is it will be a rather small room I will be keeping them in and I am going to have quite a few of these cages. So, Yes it is for space reasons.

>Inside will be sealed with Oil-Based Poly.

>3/4" plywood for sides, back, and bottom.

What type would you suggest? (wood type) I know now Ceader, and I know Pine can be harmful, but would it hurt if it were sealed?

>????Top will br 3/4" plywood with a 9"x2.5' section of heavy wire mesh. (ventalation and for heat lamp).????

I have heard of radiant heat pannels but never seen one nor do I know of anyone who has one, what are the price ranges and where can I get one? (I would put it on the top of the cage) And if I did this what do you suggest for ventalation?

>Substrate guard on front bottom (3" lip)

>Ceramic tile (grouted and then the whole thing sealed) on bottom inside for easy clean up.

That was Mom's Idea, my cousin does tile and I could get the tile and grout cheap and maybe even get broken tiles free and moasic it, looks are nothing, just cheaper. Simply for long lasting and ease of cleaning.

Plexiglass framed with wood trim flip down hinged door in front, with locks of course.

I just meant framed to hold the glass and handle and locks, not a big frame. I don't want a sliding door, I really prefer the flip down type.

> outside will be either stained and sealed or primed and painted with gloss paint.

Hows that sound? Also what do you suggest forr substrate? I was thinking of those cage liners that are supposed to be 6x thicker than news paper and come on a roll. Have you tried them?

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Caging Forum ]