kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: depends on the species

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Caging Forum ]

Posted by chris_harper2 on April 14, 2003 at 17:55:46:

In Reply to: Re: depends on the species posted by Dave A. on April 14, 2003 at 17:35:16:

I think an oil-based polyurethane would be sufficient. Be forwarned that these can take a very long time to dry depending on the concentration of solids. Also, you will likely have to re-do the entire cage every couple of years.

If you want something that will still show off your wood grain, cure quickly and completely, you might consider some of the clear epoxies. A pain to deal with but the finish is very durable. Look at Tap Plastic's website for the best epoxy for your application.

You might look locally for Enviro-Tex epoxy designed for bar and table tops.

It's more expensive but comes in smaller kits and is supposed to be much easier to work with. Solvent fumes are not as bad and the product has excellent self-leveling properties. I know of one guy who used it successfully in a Water Dragon cages. He even sealed plaster pools with it.

But I've not used it myself.

Lastly, I don't recommend melamine for the cage floor in a R. ciliatus cage. I think you'll find the substate will cause the surface to bubble within a few months.

Better to use the same plywood and finish used on the rest of your cage.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Caging Forum ]