return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Water Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Desert Iguana . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

My 2 cents worth

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Drayco the Dragon on December 16, 1999 at 09:49:05:

In Reply to: Hmm...lets see...bearded dragons and chickens = apples and oranges?? More... posted by Sara O. on December 16, 1999 at 08:49:36:

I think the size of enclosure varies with the activity level of the individule dragon.
From reading here and the pogona list dragons are individule and some are more active then others.
I see this with my own Dragon's, Drayco is a male and he's very active and lives in a 5 ft long 2/1/2ft wide 4 ft high enclosure.
Except during brumation he uses pretty much all of that space and still scratches to come out and run upstairs.
So He wouldn't be suited for a smaller enclosure such as a 55 gallon one.
Barnee my female is in a 5ft long 2 1/2 wide and 2 1/2 ft high enclosure, she spends pretty much most of the time on one side of the enclosure.
Occasionally she'll scratch to get out so she has her little run around and then she'll be content to hang out in her favorite spot. For her she probably would be
fairly happy in a 70 gallon enclosure.
Sydney my 3 month old is on a enclosure about the size of a 55 gallon tank, this one is one active little beastie and hubby's gonna have to build an enclosure the size of Drayco's if Sydney's activity level keeps up.
So I guess my advise to the primary question would be to raise the dragon in the 55 gallon enclosure and if it's an active dragon and it appears to want more space then by all means upgrade it to a larger size.
Or if in the summer months it has a large outdoor enclosure that would be great. During the winter most adult dragons will slow down and may spend their time in a hidey hut.

So individule dragons and individule owners ideas. This is JMHO :)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ] [ FAQ ]