kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Veronicag.... look here

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ]

Posted by veronicag on May 08, 2003 at 15:44:10:

In Reply to: Veronicag.... look here posted by PhoenixZorn on May 08, 2003 at 15:26:26:

It's really easy to keep waxies, supers and mealies. The ones in the photo are mealworms. I keep them in crunched up corn flakes in a medium sized tupperware container (sealed of course) in the refrigerator. They will last for months like that. Every other week I let them warm up to room temp and feed them some fruit or veggies, then back in the fridge they go! They are the only ones you should refrigerate, the cold will kill the wax worms and the supers.

The wax worms are also to keep and are my beardies favorite because of the soft shell. Put them on bran in a medium sized container and put a lid on top but leave it open a little so air can get in. You don't want the bran to get any moisture. The moisture will harm the wax worms. They like it dry. I keep them at room temp which right now is around 70. When it warms up in the summer, I may not be able to keep waxies until it cools down again. When the waxies grow up they will turn into moths that will escape. The warmer the temp the faster they will grow. You don't feed them.

Supers are a little more work, but worth it. Just keep them like the waxies, in a container with the lid slightly off but they will climb out so make sure it's deep enough. You probably want a few inches from the top of the bran to the top of the container. Supers have to be fed or they will turn into cannibals and eat eachother! You can lose a lot of supers this way. The best way is to put fresh food (sliced up potato, orange, mango...) on top of their bran every other day and remove the dried food too. You can actually watch the supers chomp down on the food if they are hungry enough.

It's tough with mom's who don't want bugs in the house. I completely understand. If the container is deep enough for the supers, they can not escape. If you put a screen or something on top of the waxies container to let air in and keep any moths in, they won't escape either. And even if a moth gets out they don't live but a few days or so. And the mealies are best kept in the fridge because they will last 10 times longer in there and don't have to be fed that often at all!

Good luck!

Veronica
:What is in that tupperware container? Looked like superworms to me, but wasn't sure. Do you keep them sealed inside the container? I've got this new problem around the house, my mom doesn't want me to have ANY bugs at all... this is a problem in more ways than one, as I have 2 beardies, a spotted turtle and 1.1.1 sugar gliders(gratz to the parents) that all like to eat insect food. Now, super worms scare the gliders, and I can just get a couple crix at a time if I need them, but the turtle and beardies absolutely relish superworms.

:Please tell me your methods of keeping and breeding the biting little buggers (in small containers if at all possible) so that I can again feed my animals the food they need... and consequently bang their heads on plexiglas for. The last batch of supers I had was kept at about 60-65 degrees (I know a bit cold) but they all died within a month... not a single one pupated.... well, except that one that lived long enough in the glider cage to get under the pine shavings.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ]